Power Management is becoming a very important factor in the electrical engineering industry. With progresses in electronics and technology comes a reduction in available space for circuits, and thus comes a need for reducing the size of power management components of electronic devices.
The goal of this project is to design and test a functional proof of a high frequency DC to DC boost converter. The scope of this work included the design, simulation, part selection, PCB layout, fabrication, and testing of the three major design blocks. The design uses a closed loop error amplifier circuit, a power stage, and a triangular waveform generator circuit. The switching frequency will be adjustable, with a maximum goal of 20MHz.
The project dealt with designing a high frequency DC/DC boost converter using commercially available parts. It was conducted on site at Draper Laboratory located in Cambridge. The goal of this project was to develop a device and a test plan for verifying the proof of concept of a high frequency DC/DC boost converter using commercially available parts. The overall boost converter consists of three specific modules, the triangle wave generator, the open loop boost converter, and finally, the compensation network.
A DC/DC boost converter deals with taking in an input voltage and producing a higher voltage. Most commercially available boost converters cannot exceed a frequency of 5MHz. The boost converter required for this project needed to be capable of operating at a frequency of 20MHz, four times larger than what is commercially available.
The project team worked to design, review, lay-out, build, solder and test their boost converter. The final outcome is a fully functional continuous conduction mode boost converter soldered to a printed circuit board. It is capable of achieving a constant 12V output with 50-100Ω loads from a 3.3-5V input. The inductor size is reduced from 680μH to 400nH due to the high frequency. The capacitor was also reduced from 4.7μF to 1.8μF. Finally, the efficiency was calculated to be greater than 55%.
Recent Posts in Projects & Circuits:
- GPS Fuel Monitoring System
- GPS based Vehicles Tracking Fleet Management system
- GPS Wireless Project for Caring of Elderly and Disabled People
- Digital PWM Controller CMOS VLSI Design
- Programmable Digital Power Controller VLSI Design
- Digital Power Management System
- Digital Power Control Management and Digital Power Conversion
- Brushless DC (BLDC) Motor Control for Respirators
- Serial attached SCSI Simulator Software Project
- FPGA-based Design & Implementation of Tilt Measurement System
- VHDL Simulator Development Project
- VHDL Error Simulator for Functional Test Generation
- Low-Power VLSI Design for MP3 Audio Decoder using Optimised Synthesis-subband Approach
- VLSI Design of USB MP3 AAC WMA Audio Decoder Hardware
- DIY Solar Panels using Photovoltaic Solar Stickers
- PCB-Designed Electromagnetic Vibration Energy Harvester
- Electromagnetic Energy Harvester
- Mini Hydro Turbine Generating Electric Power from Water Pipelines
- Solar-Powered Water Treatment Plant
- Robot Glider Project Detects Ocean Anomalies Missed by Satellites
- Power Transfer from Wheels to Charge Electric Car Batteries
- High-Speed Electric Motorcycle with Solar Power
- Robotic Solar-Panel Sun Tracking Technology Project
- PCB Design of Log-Periodic Antennas
- Triple-DES Algorithm VLSI Design Implementation Project